At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat heading toward Italy sank off the Tunisian coast, with two people rescued so far, according to Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.
What Happened
The boat reportedly set off early on Thursday, attempting the Mediterranean crossing toward Italy. Details on the exact circumstances of the sinking haven't been fully established, but the confirmed toll so far, 13 missing against just two survivors, points to a crossing that went badly wrong shortly after departure or somewhere along the route.
A Shifting Departure Pattern
Tunisia was once one of the primary departure points for migrants attempting the Mediterranean crossing, but the number of departures from its coast has dropped sharply over the past two years. That decline follows a broader crackdown alongside tighter maritime controls, backed by European funding and modern border-monitoring equipment, particularly support from Italy.
Even with departures down overall, incidents like this one are a reminder that the underlying risk hasn't disappeared, crossings are simply happening less frequently, not necessarily more safely.
Concerns Raised Over the EU-Tunisia Migration Deal
The broader migration policy context here has drawn its own scrutiny. Last month, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and dozens of other human rights and humanitarian organisations said in a joint statement that the EU-Tunisia migration deal had fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia. That statement adds an important layer of context to how the current, tighter departure environment has actually come about, and what it may mean for the people still attempting the crossing despite the added risk and restrictions.
FAQs
Q1. How many people are missing after this boat sinking?
At least 13 Tunisians are missing, with two people rescued so far.
Q2. When did the boat depart, and where was it headed?
It set off early on Thursday and was sailing toward Italy when it sank off the Tunisian coast.
Q3. Why have Mediterranean departures from Tunisia declined recently?
Departures have fallen sharply over the past two years due to a crackdown and tighter maritime controls, backed by European funding and monitoring equipment, particularly from Italy.
Q4. What have human rights groups said about the EU-Tunisia migration deal?
Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, and other organisations said last month that the deal has fuelled and normalised serious abuses against migrants and asylum seekers in Tunisia.