Skip to Content
Join the Network with Us — Join Membership


South Korea Minister Says Trump Appears to Be Pressuring Seoul Over Iran, Investment

August 19, 2026

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Wednesday that US President Donald Trump's order to curb joint military drills appeared aimed, in part, at pressuring Seoul to support US efforts in the Iran war, alongside other unresolved issues such as investment.

A Message With Multiple Layers

"I think President Trump's message includes pressure over several pending issues concerning the South Korean government, as well as a message to North Korea and an intention by the United States to break a stalemate in the Iran war," Cho said, suggesting the move was carrying several diplomatic signals at once rather than serving a single purpose.

The $350 Billion Investment Pledge

One potential source of friction, according to Cho, could be South Korea's pledge to invest 350 billion dollars in the United States under a trade deal signed last year. Seoul has yet to announce the specific details of this investment plan, though Cho noted that Washington had sent Seoul a proposal outlining projects that could be considered as part of the arrangement.

"We could not move faster on the investment plan as we had to consider factors such as commercial viability and take legal procedures," Cho said, also citing other unexpected problems without elaborating further on what those specifically involved.

A Shorter Military Drill Schedule

Against this backdrop, South Korea and the United States announced on Wednesday that they will shorten their annual military drills to five days, down from 11, and scale back some field training as well. This move follows Trump's order calling for a substantial reduction in US participation in these joint exercises.

A Possible Path Toward North Korea Diplomacy

South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, who attended the same hearing, offered his own interpretation of the situation, saying he believes Trump was moving closer to potentially arranging a new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by curtailing the exercises that have long angered Pyongyang.

Taken together, these developments suggest a fairly complex diplomatic moment for South Korea, navigating pressure related to an unresolved investment commitment, broader US strategic interests around Iran, and the possibility of renewed engagement with North Korea, all playing out simultaneously through the framing of military drill reductions.

FAQs

Q1. Why does South Korea's Foreign Minister believe Trump is pressuring Seoul?

Cho Hyun said Trump's order to curb joint military drills appears aimed at pressuring South Korea over several pending issues, including support for US efforts in the Iran war and an unresolved investment pledge.

Q2. What is the $350 billion investment issue referenced in this report?

South Korea pledged to invest 350 billion dollars in the United States under a trade deal signed last year, but Seoul has yet to announce specific project details, citing commercial viability and legal procedures as factors slowing the process.

Q3. How have the US-South Korea military drills changed?

South Korea and the United States announced they will shorten their annual military drills to five days from 11, and scale back some field training, following Trump's order for a substantial reduction in US participation.

in News
Share this post
Archive