More than 200 operatives of the ISI-backed terrorist group Shahzad Bhatti Network were arrested ahead of Independence Day across the country, Home Minister Amit Shah said on Monday, August 17, 2026.
A Coordinated Nationwide Operation
Shah said Indian security forces ripped apart the network by launching coordinated operations across different locations in 14 states, describing the effort as a significant achievement by the Modi government in dismantling the ISI-backed terror group ahead of the Independence Day celebrations.
What This Means
The scale of this operation, spanning 14 states and resulting in over 200 arrests, points to a fairly extensive, well-coordinated network that security agencies had been tracking. Timing such a large-scale crackdown ahead of Independence Day is also notable, given the heightened security concerns that typically accompany major national events, when authorities tend to intensify efforts to neutralise any potential threats well in advance.
While specific operational details about the network's activities and the exact nature of the threat it posed have not been fully outlined in the available information, the Home Minister's public statement underscores the government's emphasis on projecting a strong counter-terrorism stance, particularly around a symbolically significant date on the national calendar.
FAQs
Q1. How many operatives were arrested in this crackdown?
More than 200 operatives of the ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti Network were arrested ahead of Independence Day, according to Home Minister Amit Shah.
Q2. How many states were involved in this security operation?
Security forces conducted coordinated operations across different locations in 14 states to dismantle the network.
Q3. Who announced this counter-terrorism operation?
Union Home Minister Amit Shah announced the operation and the arrests on Monday, August 17, 2026.